- Arabic (all dialects);
- Chinese (all dialects);
- Bahasa Indonesia
- Turkic (Azerbaijani, Kazakh, Kyrgz, Turkish, Turkmen, Uzbek);
- Persian (Farsi, Dari, Kurdish, Pashto, Tajiki);
- Indic (Hindi, Urdu, Nepali, Sinhala, Bengali, Punjabi, Marathi, Gujarati, Sindhi);
Consult the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page for further details.
Minimum Length: 2 Weeks for Community College Students; 3 Weeks for Students at Four-Year Institutions.
Eligibility and Application Overview
The scholarship program is open to all U.S. citizen undergraduates, in good academic standing who have received a Federal Pell Grant and meet the following criteria.
Eligible Applicants Must Be:
- Receiving a Federal Pell Grant or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term of his/her study abroad program or internship.
- Applying to or has been accepted into a study abroad program or internship eligible for credit by the student’s accredited institution of higher education in the U.S.
- Studying or interning abroad for at least three weeks (21 days) in one country – or two weeks (14 days) for current community college students – and no more than one academic year. Programs going to more than one country are eligible if the student will be in one country for at least four consecutive weeks.
- Studying or interning in any country with an overall Travel Advisory Level 1 or 2, according to the U.S. Department of State’s Travel Advisory System. Certain areas within these countries may be designated within the Travel Advisory as either “Do not travel to” (Level 4) or “Reconsider travel to” (Level 3) locations; students will not be allowed to travel to these areas. Students are not eligible to apply for programs in a country with an overall Level 3 or 4 Travel Advisory.
For more information visit Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship website
Gilman Scholarship Program
Institute of International Education
1800 West Loop South, Suite 250
Houston, TX 77027
Contact email and phone number varies by participant status and last name.
Applicant and Recipient Inquiries:
A – D
For Gilman Alumni and Scholars Currently Abroad: